China Travel Tips

Reflections on Travel in China

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Weifang International Kite Festival




China is known for kites and the Weifang, Shandong Kite Festival is one of the best in the world. Held every April, delegates from all over the world come here once a year to fly their kites on the "Flying Field". In the photo above you see me with my American kite which I was honored to be able to fly it on the Kite Field, where the first kites were ever flown hundreds of years ago. My kite hangs in the Weifang Kite Museum to this day. The large kite you see in the photo is taken up into the air by being pulled by a jeep with wires. Same with the Dragon Kite which extends over 1/2 mile long. The variety of kites is unbelievable with one eagle kite actually made out of bird feathers. The Opening of the 3 day event starts with a parade of participants and a fantastic show in the stadium beyond the imagination and more like the half time show at the Super Bowl. It ends with a fireworks display the size of a New York 4th of July celebration. I have a small collection of hand made kites that I fly now and then here in Seattle in the form of Eagles which is fun to fly when seagulls are around as they are afraid of them. My business is of course Tours to China and you can check out my web site or email me about attending the Weifang Kite Festival as part of a tour. My web site is: www.interlakechinatours.com or email me at interlak@eskimo.com  25 Years of doing Quality Tours!
                          Click on the photos for full screen viewing!

No comments: