China Travel Tips

Reflections on Travel in China

Monday, February 2, 2009

Shopping in China



Many clients ask me about shopping in China and hear about tours that make you stop and shop. If your group tour was inexpensive it probably requires 2 to 3 shopping stops each day. Tour Operators get kick backs for having their tours stop at retail outlets. Quality Tours ask you about shopping. There are Work shops where you can see products made like the Cloisonne Worshops as you see above or simply hand made items in shops that feature artists. There are markets that feature over runs, slightly irregulars or "knock offs" that are fun to shop and have great bargains too. Or there are department stores that feature quality goods and real antiques. It depends on what you are looking for. I usually include one or two Work shops in my customized private tours if the client wishes. I even put in some of the Markets that I call Bargain shopping like the Rainbow or Silk markets in Beijing. You will see hand made products being made in craft shops or art gallaries. Earlier I wrote about a Day Pack that I had made to my own specifications made from leather. I chose the leather and color and drew out on paper the design for an over the shoulder bag. Cost was less than $20 and was ready in 4 hours. For more ideas or questions on shopping in China, check my web site or contact me directly. We do Tours to China only.

No comments: