China Travel Tips

Reflections on Travel in China

Monday, April 13, 2009

TIBET - The Roof of the World




As a Tour Operator to China, I travel to all parts of China to work directly with my Chinese associates to keep up on all the changes going on in China.  The photos above are from a former trip showing the Potala Palace in Lhasa. The two Tibetans were my Sales Mgr. guide and his driver. We went to his home town of Shigatze about 5 hours from Lhasa. I enjoyed a visit to his home to meet his wife and mother seeing how they lived. We toured the Monastery there also. At about 10,000 feet above sea level the air is thin and the sun is very intense. I had left my hat in the car when we went into the Potala Palace not knowing we would be up on the roof which you can see in the photo above. I burned the top of my bald head after only being up there 20 minutes. Sun glasses and plenty of sun screen are needed when visiting there. One flies to Lhasa and arriving you feel the difference in altitude immediately and feel a bit light headed for a day or so. For more information about going to Tibet contact me directly at interlak@eskimo.com and I will be glad to answer any questions you might have about going to Tibet.  I have since been to Tibet and noted the many changes including the big increase in population in Lhasa as well as the new hotels and many restaurants

No comments: